When a contact fills out a Hatchbuck form, three things will happen:
- The contact will be added as a contact in your database
- Any automations you have applied to that form will be triggered
- A cookie will be dropped and you can begin to track that contact's activity on your site (check out how to set-up your webpage tracking here)
Follow these steps to create an Online Form in Hatchbuck:
Select +New Online Form. You will see this screen:
- Name and describe your form for your personal use.
- You must choose a default sales rep that the contact will be assigned to when coming into Hatchbuck
- The default contact status drop down identifies how you want contacts to be classified when they enter the system by filling out this form (e.g. uninterested, lead, prospect, opportunity, customer).
Select an option for how you would like Duplicate Records to be treated.
- Do not update the existing record: If a user submits a form and that contact is already in Hatchbuck (based on their email address), but different information such as address, phone, etc. the information will not be updated in the system. (this includes the 'status' field mentioned above, so if your form should be moving contacts forward in the pipeline, keep this in mind.)
- Update only blank fields in existing record: If a user chooses this option, only fields which were left blank will be filled in by new information. Fields which already have data in the system will be ignored.
- Overwrite fields in the existing record: If a user chooses this option, any fields that contain data will be overwritten by new data submitted via the form.
Select Double Opt-In option: if moved to yes, Hatchbuck will NOT add the contact or their information in Hatchbuck until they have clicked through an email that has been sent to their inbox
The Continue button will take you to our form builder:
BUILDING THE FORM:
- To add fields to your form: drag and drop the type of field you'd like to add
- Make sure to note whether or not you would like that field to be a required field on your form
- The Tag Comb and Tag Checkbox fields are great ways for your to help your contacts auto-segment themselves by selecting their own interests as it relates to your products or services. Whatever they select will be merged into their record as a tag.
- Any field with the "Custom" title will merge into a Custom Field on the Contact Record.
**IMPORTANT: You MUST have already created the fields you would like to merge in your Account Settings>System Settings>Custom Fields.
Make sure click the gray gear icon and fill in that last box with the Custom Field you would like the information mapped to
- Social Networks, Advanced Fields, and Survey Fields are NOT added into your Contact Record. These are for your internal use only. You can view the data put in these fields via a notification email or by clicking into the form detail from a contact record.
CUSTOMIZING THE FORM
- Changing the Color and Style: You have options for font style and color as well as background color in your form.
*Hack: Make the form background, etc. transparent so it blends in to your website!
You can choose from a list of themes to customize your form as well
- Changing the Size: Adjust your field sizes by clicking into that field and selecting "field size" from the top bar
- You can also change the width of the entire form from the builder as well:
*Hack: To make your form fit in a certain place on your website, right click on the area and select "Inspect Element". This should give you the height and width of that area. Match the width number from your site to the width number in the form!
SETTING UP FORM AUTOMATIONS
- Click + New Automation to add triggered automations to your form (check out this article for information on Hatchbuck automations). You're not limited to a certain number of automations, add whatever makes sense for that particular Online form
SETTING UP YOUR THANK YOU MESSAGE
- On the next screen you can choose to add text to an existing thank you page or link back to your own website, landing page, or pre-designed thank you page
EMBEDDING YOUR FORM
- On the final page choose your method for embedding. Whichever option you choose, Hatchbuck will provide the code and step by step instructions.
*Hack: The Link option is great for testing, copying into emails, or for use as a quick entry at a networking event. See the Hatchbuck Hack article about this for more info.