Getting started doesn’t have to be a headache. We’ve compiled a list of ten easy steps to ensure Hatchbuck success. Happy Hatchbucking!
Download this checklist in PDF format below.
✔ Activate your Account.
- Check your inbox for a “Welcome to Hatchbuck” email and click the link to activate your account. If you are unable to find the email, search your junk folder and be sure to add “hatchbuck.com” to your safe sender list. This will ensure you don’t miss important emails and updates from your consultant or the Hatchbuck team.
✔ Authenticate your Email with Hatchbuck
- Simply put, email authentication verifies you are who you say you are when emailing through a third party. Email authentication improves your overall deliverability and increases inbox placement. Your Hatchbuck Consultant will provide you with everything you need to authenticate your email. For a more technical explanation, check out the resources below.
✔ Track your Conversions
Quickly bring email conversations into Hatchbuck from your inbox. Both methods below will store email communication with your contact as either an activity (IMAP) or as a note (BCC) on their record.
- IMAP (currently only supported in Gmail): Account Settings > My Info > Email Sync
Once you are connected, Hatchbuck will scan your inbox and connect emails from the last six months to contact records found in your database. Now you can stay up-to-date with your conversations and continue to see new conversations on a contact’s activity feed.
- Resource: Connecting to IMAP
- BCC Email: Account Settings > My Info > BCC Email
If you don’t use Gmail, no worries. Simply place your “Personal Hatchbuck Email Address” in the BCC field of any email you send from your email client, and it will be recorded as a note on the contact’s record. The BCC method will also allow you to create new contacts in Hatchbuck automatically.
- Resource: BCC Email Integration
✔ Customize your Database
Make Hatchbuck your own! Head to Account Settings > Customizations and update the following fields prior to importing your contacts.
- Contact Status: All contacts in your database must have a contact status which should represent broad stages for the overall customer lifecycle. We recommend statuses like lead, prospect, opportunity, customer, not interested, etc. Remember, you can always get more granular using the other customizations listed below.
- Deal Stages: These represent the stages in your sales pipeline. Use deal stages that indicate the steps a qualified lead completes to become a customer or a lost sale.
If you aren’t ready to track your sales in Hatchbuck, not a problem. Skip this step and let us know when you'd like some help.
- Tags: Use tags to segment your contacts based on their general interest and behavior. Tags will keep score, allowing you to trigger automations based on those interests and behaviors.
- Lead Sources: Knowing where to apply your marketing dollars is super important. Customize your lead sources to track where your contacts come from and if your marketing spend is paying off.
- Custom Fields: Custom fields are the perfect way to store additional data on your contact, company and deal records.
- Resource: Customizing your Database
✔ Organize your Spreadsheet
- In order for an import to be successful, make sure your file is organized and saved as a .CSV, .XLS or .XLSX file. Take time to clean up your data prior to importing – it will pay off!
Resource: Organizing Before Import
✔ Import your Contacts
- Our easy-to-use import wizard will allow you to upload a file of your contacts into Hatchbuck quickly. Remember to create custom fields where needed.
- Resource: Guide to Importing
✔ Track your Website Traffic
- If a contact has filled out a Hatchbuck form or clicked a link in an email sent from Hatchbuck, tracking their activity on your site is a breeze. Simply grab the tracking script from Tools > Webpage Tracking > Tracking Code and place it in the constant header or footer of your website.
- Resource: Webpage Tracking Walkthrough
✔ Build an Online Form
- Forms are an ideal way to capture leads or gather more information from your contacts. You can quickly embed forms on your website or landing pages, and then trigger automations when a form is submitted.
Resource: Hatchbuck Forms
✔ Create an Email Template
- Create beautiful, engaging emails using a pre-designed template or create your own with our drag & drop builder. Using the basic editor you can create text-based emails that will appear more personal to your contacts. You can also craft your own HTML email using the Basic Editor.
- Resource: Step-by-Step Guide to Creating Emails
✔ Send an Email
- Sending an email to one contact or a group of contacts is just a few clicks away. Once you’ve sent your first email from Hatchbuck, check out the dashboard activity feed to see who’s opening and clicking through your links in real time.