When looking at your Email Statistics and Reports in Hatchbuck, you will see data for Sent, Opens, Clicks, Bounces, Unsubscribes and Spam Complaints. Although they may seem straightforward, a better understanding of what email stats mean will help you analyze the reporting data.
- Emails Sent: This is the number of emails that were sent out of Hatchbuck's email server. This stat will automatically exclude any previous unsubscribes, invalid or bad email addresses (because Hatchbuck does not send emails to those people).
- Opens: We use a tracking pixel to calculate opens. Anytime someone opens the email and downloads images OR simply clicks on a link, we count that as an open. If the email is forwarded and opened we will count it as an open as well.
- Link Clicks: Depending on the report you are reviewing, this could be overall link clicks or unique clicks. Overall aggregates all link clicks on the email, even if one person clicks 10 times. Unique just counts how many people clicked-through.
Bounces: Hard and soft bounces count in this list. They are defined by the recipient's email server. If they don't accept it, we count the email address as bounced.
- Soft Bounce: Hatchbuck will try for 72 hours to try to deliver an email. If we still cannot deliver then it will be moved to a hard bounce (Ex: recipient’s inbox is full, our server can't connect with the recipient's server).
- Hard Bounce: This is a permanent failure. The email is not deliverable, so Hatchbuck will stop trying to send (Ex: bad email address, the recipient's server is not going to accept emails from you).
- Unsubscribe: We aggregate unsubscribes from within the email itself (the link in the footer) and any unsubscribes that come from the email client (most have their own unsubscribe button). We remove these people from any future email sends, but you can manually go in and re-subscribe them in their contact record if they give you specific permission to do so.
- Complaints: These are people who have complained of Spam either through the link in the template or their email client. We delete the email address from your database and you will not be able to re-enable that manually. You will also be prevented from sending them any further emails.